Monday, July 28, 2014

Entering The Business World

Hello World,

Yes today I’m coming at you with the stressful, intimidating employment world. The scary but exciting “real” first job – real as in dipping your toes into the start of your c a r e e r. How many of you have a planned career? Now how many of you have a plan B career? Let’s take it to the Career Development classroom…

A plan B career is basically your back up plan as in the sucky job that you’re good at but don’t love but have to do for money or to wait for your actual career to kick off.

Usually – or in my case- you start off with your plan B because your plan A is the dream job. So I’m on a hunt for a secretary position at an accounting firm or an administrative/executive assistant position to lead me to be an accountant. I’m still in school working on my associate’s degree and I’m planning on someday getting my bachelors in Accounting.  ßSee that’s a plan B career, no excitement just technical mumbo-jumbo.

The dream job is when you hustle hard for an amazing fantasy you play out in your head. Sometimes you have to start low in your desired industry and grow to the dream position. I personally D R E A M (all the time) of opening up my own natural hair beauty school in the big apple-since they are non-existent in the NY state and I LOVE THAT IDEA. This idea was originally announced to me and a bunch of naturalistas at a natural hair event by Diane C. Bailey and I was just amazed how she put all my passions and scattered desires into a bold concrete goal (that we have in common). I intend on getting into the natural hair industry by starting off with getting my cosmetology license to become a licensed professional, building my brand, and networking within the industry to learn from inspiring independent women while attaining my Masters in Business Administration ..And maybe, hopefully, all fingers and toes crossed- partner up with Ms. Bailey herself and get this show on the road.  ßNow that’s a career plan coming from the heart.

Take some time to write down some long term career goals and some short term career goals to reach your dream job and your plan B.

Certificates, licenses, and degrees better prepare you to stand out from a crowd who’s after the same job you want but experience is key. To know the theory and the applied science of a subject does not mean you truly understand it. For example you can’t accurately know natural hair by reading a really good textbook on it and knowing all its technical terms, you need to have years of experience getting your hands into all types of textures and situations to precisely recognize what that specific head of hair requires.

I leave you off with a quote I read I believe from Nick Arrojo “with experience opportunities follow,” soo dream BIG and strategize BETTER. It’s never too early or late to start! GO!


Love Kay

P.S. Comment what your plans are i'd love to know, and what do you think of mine? any suggestions or advice ? 

Thank Youuu for reading luff you<3

No comments:

Post a Comment